Monday, August 8, 2011

The Backwards Step to the IBM Compatibles

In 1992 I purchased my first IBM compatible and studied the C++ language. I ported about 6 of my chess programs across and converted them to Visual Basic for Dos. In hindsight it would have been better to rewrite them in C++.

I taught myself Windows programming in C++ at a time that it was likely only a few people in Melbourne could do it. I was offered a programming job in a computer games company.

With a relative (who is now frequently in charge of move animation) doing the graphics, I worked on game 'Wizards of Nadroj' (written in C++) which at the time was quite sophisticated. We had a publisher, but unfortunately graphics development was very slow and the game was never published.

I have a large number of Computer books, most of them related to Windows programming.

My early experience with VB for DOS helped me become a tutor both in 'Introduction to Programming' and 3 different 'Visual Basic' courses at the CAE (Council of Adult Education, later to become Centre of Adult Education).

In the 1990s I developed a chess engine and used it to compete in various chess engine tourneys, including the Australian Computer Championship in which it once finished third. It was a highly experimental program, and large sections of it were rewritten many times. It has 100,000+ lines of code.

I have written a programming language 'Easy C' in C++ something like early versions of 'Blitz Basic' , simply because it was something I always wanted to do.

If I wish to become familiar in a language new to me, one approach I have used is to translate an existing program into the new language. For example, I translated my chess engine into Java. Easy C was originally written in Visual Basic 5. I translated it into Visual Basic.Net, a much greater task than translating C++ into Java. Visual Basic.Net proved to be woefully inadequately so I translated it into C++ which proved much better for animation. I would consider translating programs one of my strengths.

I have developed my own websites since 1997, but have not attempted to do anything flashy with them.

Other programs I have experimented with include:

A Sudoku solving program which I wrote in just under one hour.
A scrabble playing program using a possibly original algorithimn to find the highest scoring play from a dictionary of 150,000 words.
A crossword generating program.
A program which teaches Visual Basic.
A chess teaching program which had hundreds of thousands of downloads.
A program which translates source from one language to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment